On Turning Forty

I don't want to grow old gracefully
I don't want to go 'til it's too late
I'll be some old [wo]man in the road somewhere
Kneeling down in the dust by the side of the interstate
~Warren Zevon, Renegade

The clock is ticking. I’ve heard it, growing louder each day. I remind myself that time is a human invention, but the lines I see when I look in the mirror, growing deeper, transforming my face from who I think I am into who I have become, tell me otherwise.

Perhaps wrinkles are a human invention, too.

Till later...

Comments

Unknown said…
I just turned forty last month and I just don't feel it. I feel waaaay older or waaaay younger. I feel like I want a grown up house :) But also feel like I am ready to scale down :0!!! Such a typical alcoholic I be ~~~

Love ya!

Gwen R~
Kim said…
Congrats?

I think age is a beautiful thing. Especially on a woman. Women age preciously, wisely, always expanding hearts. :)
rasama said…
sugah - i see you on sober musicians, and found your blog here... it's wonderful.. so honest and fresh. what you write here reminded me when i turned 40. it was my awakening moment as 20 years had passed raising children i nearly lost myself. now i am 52 and find that life only gets better as we grow wiser. Except the mirror of course! Fortunately there are things we can do about wrinkles, it's the youthful heart and growing mindset that matters after all... thank you for sharing...
JL Kulakowski said…
I'm reminded that my blog is shamefully out of date. So much has happened since July.

Thank you for your thoughts, all three of you!

Peace & Love,
Sug

Popular Posts