My Odd Life

I can't say I have a topic to write about, though I'm feeling pressured (by myself) to update, let any casual reader know that turning 40 did not push me over the edge. I've been referred to as a "middle-aged woman" several times in recent days--in a matter-of-fact sort of way by one of my younger friends, and it felt okay. No, really, it did.

I've slipped into a level of acceptance about my age that feels almost like my old Harley boots--molded to my particular quirks, though still with an odd bump here and there. Comfortable, but not something I want to wear for days on end--which is okay, because I keep the ten-year-old me around to inject me with a good dose of silliness and novelty. My Ace brings her out in me with little trouble. The years roll off of me at the end of the week when I go home to him.

Which brings me to the odd part of my life. It hit me when I was wandering around this quiet apartment today. I'm a married woman, a mother, and yet I spend all this time alone, and when I'm not alone, I'm with folks that none of the most important people in my life have even met except through my anecdotes. I imagined this life a long time ago. I visualized, even, this life, but it was before children, before cleaving to a man I adore. We're all okay with it (I believe), even though it wasn't really part of the plan. It's just... weird.

Life sure is full of surprises.

Till later...

Comments

Popular Posts