Shifting Focus

I've long neglected this space, using it primarily when my head is chewing over something that it can't quite swallow. I still have plenty of that floating in my gray matter, but for now, I think I'd like to do as I've been doing on Facebook and some of my other online hang-outs: chart my garden.

I'll start with today, do a little retrospective (after all, gardening season started the second week of March when we planted the peppers seeds in the mudroom), and hopefully, within a week or two, catch up in the chronology.

With all the rain we've had this spring, we're in good shape compared to some of our country neighbors. The surrounding farmers have plowed and planted their fields late, and though we didn't get everything in as early as we'd like, we took advantage of the few sunny (or not sunny, but rainless) days. All that's left to go into the ground are peppers, a few more tomatoes, and the squash/cucumber patch. Pictures to follow.

Today's big news, though, is that for the first time since the year we got married (2005), we have a rose blooming. Our friend, Jamie, gave us a Golden Showers for our wedding, but it didn't make it through the winter of 2005/06. This year, for my graduation (MFA - University of Pittsburgh), our friend, Becky, gave me a Midas Touch hybrid tea rose. It's planted at the corner of the porch, south-facing, same place as the Golden Showers and the home last year of our most successful cucumber planting (picklers that, from four seeds, provided a shelf full of refrigerator pickles -- we're hoping for a larger crop with some new methods we're trying in the main garden).



Here's the Midas Touch, in various states from bud to bloom.



Comments

Amy said…
Pretty!

Popular Posts