And Accepting

Because I knew that I couldn't just let my last post hang out there, as my final (or latest) word on the state of Things. I knew at the same time I was feeling it, fighting against it and wrestling it around, trying to see something that I was certain wasn't there, that it is (ugh!) just as it is supposed to be, in all its -- what? Howling hopeless horror. I love "h" alliteration.

So, I dug this up as an affirmation to myself, a soothing comfort that it's okay, I should keep going, and at the same time, accept that these observations are nothing new. They've been here in different configurations for time immemorial.

MOYERS: What about this idea of good and evil in mythology, of life as a conflict between the forces of darkness and the forces of light?

CAMPBELL: That is a Zoroastrian idea, which has come over into Judaism and Christianity. In other traditions, good and evil are relative to the position in which you are standing. What is good for one is evil for the other. And you play your part, not withdrawing from the world when you realize how horrible it is, but seeing that this horror is simply the foreground of a wonder: a mysterium tremendum et fascinans [a mystery frightening and fascinating].

“All life is sorrowful” is the first Buddhist saying, and so it is. It wouldn’t be life if there were not temporality involved, which is sorrow – loss, loss, loss. You’ve got to say “yes” to life and see it as magnificent this way, for this is surely the way God intended.
~ from The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell & Bill Moyers


Say "yes" to life, with all its sorrows and troubles and seemingly unsolvable problems? Was there ever any other choice?

Till later...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I Agree. Whenever I Start Feeling Judgemental, It Helps To Get Grounded by Experiencing Nature and Just Breathing. Sometimes I Forget To BREATHE!
FIERI said…
I have been thinking about this very thing lately. just the inherent sadness of life, and that instead of trying to fight that and make life some sort of ride, it is time for surrender and learning. How strange and beautiful it is that we can find so much joy in such a sorrowful world, helping each other out of that hopelessness. Sometimes I just sit there and people watch and think how amazing it really is...especially if you add in the imagery of earth as an island in a vast inhospitable sea- alone in harsh reality. Hehe. But we've got us, and it seems that humans could be more than enough if we just accepted that life is sorrow and that community can be joy.

Sorry. long post.
JL Kulakowski said…
Sorry never necessary for your words. Love your long posts.

Popular Posts