This Post is for You, PhotoGuide

I spent the afternoon cooking for my family. It was a simple roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy dinner with buttered corn good bread. No desert, but they acted like it was a dry-run for Thanksgiving. Since giving up meat, it's getting stranger and stranger cooking meat for them, stranger still to watch them eat it, but so far, I haven't lost the ability to do it. I hope I don't, either, though if they all announced tomorrow they would like to eat vegetarian, too, I wouldn't be upset.

In looking at PhotoGuide's pictures, I thought I'd try a "worth a thousand words" post. Although I love the holidays, love making holiday meals, I do miss the really good fresh produce of summer. We still have some peppers in the refrigerator that are well on their way to a sad, sad state, and I must admit, I was too lazy to make the trip to the mudroom to snip fresh parsley for the potatoes. But, I made good use of my camera this summer, so when I get too awfully wistful, I can always flip through my virtual album.

The rocking chairs came off the front porch, landing on the back sun porch where they'll no doubt have a coat of dust by the time spring rolls around again. The bird feeders in the far off trees came in a couple of weeks ago, and just a couple of them, what's a manageable number to fill on a cold, snowy day, are now rehung from nails on the porch. Already, the black capped chickadees have chosen the Audubon feeder the kids gave me on Mother's Day. I haven't yet found a place indoors to daydream, though. Transitions...

We're at that in-between time now, no longer the glory of fall and not yet the deep sleep of winter. It makes the daily commute a little melancholy. Music helps. Joni Mitchell has been serenading me, telling me that it's all part of the up and down, in and out, here and there of things, and just like me at this mid-life place, the world will get on with things soon.

So, there you go, PhotoGuide, my new friend. I'm not much of a photographer, but I'll give it a shot once in awhile. I like how the pictures say things for which I have not yet found words.

Till later...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank You Sugah! You are very special, I could see that you are the first time I looked at your blog. And you are perceptive, because I can never manage to express myself as fully as I Feel!
Your Friend, Shawn
JL Kulakowski said…
It still amazes me how paths cross "out here." I enjoy your pictures -- hope that you'll post more! -- and I enjoy our little conversations. I hope they continue.
D. Estitute said…
Awwww... Little Sister... One day, I'll come visit you on the Mountain.
JL Kulakowski said…
I'm going to hold you to it, Big Brother!
From one Sugar to another...I love your insight spoken thru both words and the self portrait...

it's taken in the style I've now come to call a "slice of life" shot...I have thru the years photographed my bedside table...as on your table, the current interests, necessities, and staples of my life are evident.

I enjoy your writing and will visit often...

until next time,
Shugg

Popular Posts